Industrial Engineer – Composite Pressure Vessels
Plastic Omnium is multinational tier 1 automotive supplier of fuel systems, auto exterior systems and modules. New Energies is an entity within Plastic Omnium – Clean Fuel Systems that focusses on fuel cell technology and onboard hydrogen gas and CNG storage.
The team located in Zonhoven, Belgium, focusses since 2010 on product and process development in the field of filament wound composite pressure vessels. Applications include composite pressure vessels (CPV’s) for gas storage systems containing CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) and H2 (Hydrogen) which offer new possibilities for sustainable energy solutions for car, bus, truck and train transport.
The team’s core competences are best described as:
- product design (CAD, process simulation, FE analysis)
- prototype manufacturing (using in-house winding machines)
- testing and certification
- start up of serial production
The team in Zonhoven currently counts about 10 dedicated experts and is supported by the R&D teams of Brussels and Compiegne.
Being already a world leader in clean fuel systems, the goal of Plastic Omnium New Energies is to also get to this position within the rapidly growing market of Hydrogen Mobility.
One of the challenges of composite vessel manufacturing is to develop industrial equipment able to meet serial production quality and efficiency, while ensuring highest safety standards. In order to support the current and future industrialization projects, Plastic Omnium is expanding the team in Zonhoven and is looking for candidates with industrial engineering background, ready to meet the challenge of composite vessel high volume production.
We are seeking for an Industrial Engineer to join the industrial team of Plastic Omnium New Energies in Zonhoven.
The individual will be part of a multidisciplinary development project team. Working in close cooperation with the production plant, the Industrial Engineer is in charge of managing the entire industrial deliverables of the projects, including industrial equipment specifications, equipment supplier follow up until commissioning in the production facility, overall industrial project timing and budget.
The Industrial Engineer will perform the main following tasks :
- Build the process flow chart for Composite pressure vessel production, taking into account cost/productivity/Quality and Standardization needs.
- Define and argue the right automation level for the production line, and associated Return of Investment.
- Lead the Process Failure Mode Analysis activity (PFMEA), identify key process parameters and ensure the robustness of the production process.
- Build the specifications of the machines. Identify potential suppliers, build with purchasing department the industrial supplier panel, and define the best selection per process.
- Supervise the installation of the production lines, pilot the commissioning and organize the qualification of all processes and employee’s trainings.
- Build the industrial lay-out allowing to deliver the product defined as per the business plan.
- Manage lessons learned and know how capitalization and sharing on industrial topic.
- Work according to the specific quality standards and safety standards that apply
Innovative industrial solutions and concepts are needed in order to meet the automotive production targets. The industrial engineer will contribute to new process and equipment development for high volume production.
Master degree in Engineering ; Mechanical or Automation
Plastics and Composite processing knowledge is a plus
Specific technical competences:
Proven experience in industrial project management
Experience in manufacturing, automotive preferred
Experience in industrial machine design
Good knowlegde of CAD tools (Autocad, Solidworks)
At minimum, good practical knowledge and use of English in speaking, writing and reading. Additionally, knowledge of German, French and/or Dutch is a plus.
Specific personal competences:
Be able to work independently, and take initiative
Be accurate and methodical, and results driven
Be a good team player and loyal
Be flexible to travel to suppliers, customers and PO sites as required by the project
Job related competences:
Good (English) communication skills, enabling intensive and effective interaction with colleagues and customers
Good listening skills to understand the (underlying) needs and requirements of requesters
Good analytical skills to understand specific requirements, and find the best of alternative solutions.
Problem solving (Verbal)
Eye for detail in high-quality implementation and reporting/documentation
Time, task & priority management
Eager to learn constantly
Plastic Omnium offers, besides an attractive salary, an internationally oriented and innovative high-tech environment. The individual has the advantage to start in the small and focused team in Zonhoven, but being part of Plastic Omnium has the ability to fully develop a career within the company.