Legal Counsel Germany, Belgium, Slovakia & Poland
Plastic Omnium is an independent family-owned automotive supplier, developing innovative products and solutions for the cleaner and connected car of the future. Through its expertise, 128 factories and 24 R&D centers, the Group designs and produces vehicle light-weighting, storage and energy depollution solutions, as well as modularization of the front-end module for its 92 worldwide customers.
- The Role
Located in the Headquarter office of Plastic Omnium in Levallois-Perret (near Paris), France, the Legal Counsel reports directly to the Group Legal Manager in charge of Germany, Belgium, Slovakia & Poland Activities in the Group Legal Operations Team of Plastic Omnium
The role of the Legal Operations Team is overseeing, identifying / anticipating and contributing in resolving potential and/or existing legal issues in the Plastic Omnium Divisions.
The Legal Counsel shall contribute to the overview of any legal operational issues arising in all sites of the Plastic Omnium Divisions in Germany, Belgium, Slovakia & Poland. He/She will ensure that Plastic Omnium operates within the law at all times and facilitate business strategies development. He/She will ensure legal compliance and limit legal and contractual risk exposure. He/She will assist Sales, Purchasing, R&D/R&I, Warranty & Quality, Industrial and Safety teams especially in the negotiation with automotive carmakers (OEMs) out of Germany, Belgium, Slovakia & Poland as well as with its suppliers & partners.
Under the supervision of the Group Legal Manager in charge of Germany, Belgium, Slovakia & Poland, the main missions are:
- Address in German and English legal and contractual risks within the Europe Business Units of Plastic Omnium’s Divisions, covering all the traditional areas of the function of a Legal Counsel:
- Contracts in German & English (Sales (OEMS), Partnerships, Supply (Production Component and Raw Material suppliers, Specific Tooling and Capacity-tooling suppliers, non-production goods and services suppliers, etc.) ;
- Product liability - Competition Law - Intellectual Property - Litigation & Dispute Resolution - Regulatory Affairs - Bankruptcy Laws - Public Policy
- Contribute to the delivery of the strategic objectives of the Divisions and of the Plastic Omnium Group:
- Being a partner within the Plastic Omnium Division’s Europe Business Units management and operational teams in achieving their strategies and objectives in a resource- efficient manner by providing high-quality, proactive, objective and business-oriented legal support.
- Position the legal function as a strategic partner of Plastic Omnium Divisions and define appropriate processes and tools to serve this objective.
- Assist proactively in the implementation of the legal documentation, in monitoring internal policies and in the development of legal awareness within the Plastic Omnium Divisions:
- Review and draft standard documents & internal policies in German and English and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements;
- Cooperate during requests for quotation (RFQ) and all projects with the Purchasing, Sales, R&D/R&I, Warranty & Quality, Industrial and Safety functions;
- Perform active contract management upstream by setting up the legal objectives and the contractual framework of Plastic Omnium’s project at their start and actively ensure downstream the efficient and effective implementation of the contracts by the Operations;
- Define and conduct training in German and English in order to implement internal policies and develop legal awareness in the Plastic Omnium Divisions;
- Develop and continuously improve knowledge and expertise in key areas of law that are central to the achievement Plastic Omnium’s strategy.
- Assist in compliance issues and reporting:
- Interface with Insurance, Audit & Risks, HSE and Compliance organisation Prepare regular reports for the Legal Operations Department for executive management meetings;
- Prepare regular legal and practical Memos to the Operations on various aspects of the law, legal updates, legal documentation and processes.
- Maintain and regularly update all digital tools of the Legal Operations Team for the Europe Business Units.
- Team spirit and project management:
- Coordinate constantly as a team player with the Group Legal Manager Germany, Belgium, Slovakia & Poland and the Legal Operations Team to be fully aligned with the Plastic Omnium Divisions and the Group Legal Department strategy.
- Visit regularly the plants and local offices of the Plastic Omnium Divisions in Germany, Belgium, Slovakia & Poland in order to ensure strong connection with the legal function
- German Master Degree in Law (commercial, contract, international) completed ideally by a LL.M or a business school diploma; education from a reputed German University is a very valuable asset. French Law Degree is a plus.
- A minimum of 5 ears of experience in a law firm or in an international company of the industrial sector (preferably the automotive sector or an industry with product liability experience) including drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts in German and English.
- Experience in Germany or in a German company is a very valuable asset.
- Fluent in German, English and preferably French, verbally & in writing
- Strong understanding and exposure to a multi-cultural working environment
- Organized, team spirit, high integrity & ethical values, excellent communication skills
- “Business” and strategic mindset and negotiator (not simply a “contract drafter”) with experience in handling international transactions;
- Willingness and ability to travel.